Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Final Frontier

You might have figured out from my background pictures here and on Twitter that I'm a bit of a space junkie. It's the great unknown, and the possibilities of what could be out there are enough for a lifetime of daydreams. I love a good space movie! Ever seen Sunlight? And don't even get me started on how excited I am for Prometheus.

In reality, space adventuring is still an impossibility. But last night, I stayed up late to watch this:



Unfortunately, since they launched at night, you can't see much. If you want to watch the coolest part after liftoff, skip ahead to 4:17 to see the first stage of the rocket separate, and the second stage engine ignite. And if you're curious why I'm so into these rockets, scroll over to 12:55 and look for the fellow on the right rolling backward and fist-pumping in his chair. So proud of that guy ;)

But the part of all this that had me bawling on my laptop last night was the following video and accompanying sounds. This is such a tremendous achievement. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few days of this mission.

Congrats to all the brilliant, hard-working people at SpaceX!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! This is awesome! Go Mr. Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also waiting for "Prometheus" to come out. Hollywood is all about sequels and remakes right now anyway.

    I like space stuff as opposed to spacy stuff. lol

    Followed your blog and will see you around.

    ReplyDelete