Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Currently:

Good morning, my coffee-bearing friend!
I know I did this meme a few months ago, but I just saw that the delightful Katy Upperman recycled it, and so I'm blatantly copying her (thanks for the idea, Katy!):

Loving:
It's film awards season, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea, but I love both the glamour of the shows and the awkwardness of actors trying to act funny in front of a room of their peers. Jodie Foster's Cecil B DeMille speech, anyone? I'm sure she knew what she was trying to say--too bad the rest of us didn't. Still, the babbling seemed very heartfelt. This year my husband and I have been trying to see more of the nominated movies, and last Sunday we fit in a Silver Linings Playbook matinee and an Argo late showing. Both were excellent.

Reading:
I'm multi-booking it right now. Just about finished with Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi--I wasn't pulled in immediately, but once things got going (about the time Roar hit the scene, I'd say) I really got into this one. Rossi's got talent fo sho. Also reading Victoria Forester's The Girl Who Could Fly, a very fun middle grade read that I want to share with my nephew. He mailed me his copy of Wonder on loan a few weeks ago, and I want to pay back the favor with a book of my own. And finally, I'm also reading The Barbarous Years, an excellent history of the brutal settling of North American by the Europeans. That one's more for research purposes, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Watching:
My husband and I have been sick the past couple of weekends, and we used that time to tear through every episode of The Walking Dead. It. Is. Awesome.

Thinking about:
My WIP, every day, always. I've started writing it, and I'm hoping for a quiet, solitary MLK day next week to make some serious butt-kicking progress. Which would be so much fun. I know you know what I mean.

Anticipating:
Flying out to NYC in about two weeks for the SCBWI Winter conference! Who's with me?

Listening to:
I've been putting together a "getting me in the right place" playlist for my new WIP, which so far consists of mostly Skrillex (don't ask why, it just works for this one...). Also enjoying this catchy song (profanity warning for the young or delicate):



Wishing:
For more time, as usual. Who isn't? Or maybe I just need better time-management skills. Anybody have any tips?

Making Me Happy:
So after 28 years of being a spectacle-wearer (well, 23 years of being a contact lens-wearer, but yes I was one of those little kids in thick glasses), I've finally decided to pull the trigger on getting corrective vision surgery. This was something I promised myself a few years back if I ever hit a personal milestone, which I did, huzzah. I can't get Lasik though, because once your eyes hit -9.0 or thereabouts, your cornea is stretched too thin to start scraping it away. So instead I'm getting ICL, implantable contact lenses that will be permanently inserted in my eye. I've had to wear my glasses for the last week or so to prepare--you may have seen me griping about this on Twitter, but when your vision is that borked, going from full-time contact wear to full-time glasses is a rough adjustment. The surgery is in two weeks, and people, I am SO HAPPY to think of a life without corrective lenses. YAY SCIENCE!


17 comments:

  1. UTNS!!! I LOVE Roar, too. I can't wait to talk about it with you once you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking Dead is the show I look forward to the most these days. I'm getting impatient for it to come back!

    I have never heard of ICL. I'm totally going to go look that up right now. Good luck with your surgery and have fun at SCBWI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hadn't heard of ICL before either, but apparently there have already been something like 300,000 performed, which makes me less scared!

      Delete
  3. Love the owl mug in your photo... My girlie and I got her kindergarten teacher that for Christmas. :)

    Best of luck with your eye surgery! What a huge, exciting step! And oddly enough, my husband and I just tore through The Walking Dead ourselves. That show... Yowza! Talk about fearless writing and plotting and character-killing. But. Does Laurie bug you? Just a little?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Actually Laurie's never bothered me nearly as much as Carl, ha. I love a show that's not afraid to throw viewers for a loop and kill of major characters.

      Delete
  4. The WALKING DEAD IS AWESOME! love that freaking show! And that song is the best! Awesome picks. I can't wait for NY. It will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE The Walking Dead. Never gets old! Sorry to hear you were sick but what a fantasmi way to spend the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great distraction from our coughing, runny-eyed misery :)

      Delete
  6. I am so curious about ICL! I am probably a bad LASIK candidate for the same reason. Congrats on a contact-free future!

    I'm looking forward to a quiet MLK Jr Day weekend in which I (hopefully, hopefully) get a lot of revising done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post the outcome after I get it done! Hope you have a productive holiday weekend :)

      Delete
  7. I too love the glamour and madness of awards show season. That Jodie Foster speech was amazing(ly confusing).

    Are you going to SCBWI Winter conference?? I'm so jealous! You'll have to blog about it so I can live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, headed out to NY in two weeks--I can't wait! I've been to the summer conference three years in a row, but this year my CP and I decided we had to check out the winter one at least once. Basically it was a good excuse to go to NY for a weekend ;)

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the surgery! My dad had it done, and he absolutely loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argo is definitely a great movie! That's so cute you trade books with your nephew. Good luck with weekend with your WIP. I absolutely LOVE Skrillex - he's amazing. And finally, yay for getting some awesome new eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard The Walking Dead is good, but haven't seen it yet. And soooo jealous you guys are going to NY!!!!!! And hope the surgery goes well! :D

    ReplyDelete