Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, that helps readers and writers touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. If you'd like to join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's and Erin's blog posts. 

What I'm Reading

I've had to fit my reading in between the cracks lately, so I'm not reading anything very quickly, but at the moment I'm really enjoying the copy of The Fifth Wave I picked up at BEA. I'm also gradually slogging my way through A Clash Of Kings. I'd like to finish all the Ice & Fire books before the next season of the show starts, but holy LONG. It's kind of painful when you read and read and don't even advance 1% on the progress bar. I do have some binge reading time coming up because I'm leaving tomorrow for a 17-day vacation. I've got some fun ARCs, but I don't like to bring physical books on vacation with me, so I'll be hitting the backlog of awesomeness on my e-reader.

What I'm Writing

I'm racing for the finish line right now in the first draft of the sequel to THE LOST PLANET--hoping to get it done before take-off at 7pm tomorrow! I may treat myself to a little champagne on the flight if that happens, because writing a sequel on deadline is to writing the first book like motocross racing on a mudslide is to taking a two-week bike tour of Provence. This is a draft that's for my eyes only--I was figuring it out as I went, so right now the front end doesn't match the back end...at all. But at least the hard part's done!

What Else I'm Doing

As I mentioned, I'm leaving tomorrow for a vacation, aka the European wedding tour. We're going to an old friend's wedding in Bonn, Germany this weekend, and then joining a group from the wedding party to vacation in Israel for a week. I've never been to Israel before, and I'm so excited to see it! Afterwards we're flying up to Istanbul for the wedding of one of my husband's best childhood friends and to spend time with family--including my husband's brand new nephew! I love Istanbul so much and I can't wait for sunny, tea-filled mornings and warm Bosphorus evenings. (And don't worry, we'll be perfectly safe there.)

What Inspires Me Right Now

I can't listen to music while I'm writing, but I do keep a playlist of music for getting into the mood of each book. If you're curious about these kinds of things, here are two of the main songs from the playlist for the book I'm drafting:

(Note: Apparently you need to have Spotify installed for these buttons to work...blerg. Embedded YouTube videos of these songs don't play on Blogger, but if you really want to listen to these tunes, you can check them out on YouTube: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, and Allegretto from Palladio.)



16 comments:

  1. Safe travels, and good luck on getting to "The End" before takeoff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels! I LOVE Israel. It is one of my favorite places to visit (and I've been to 4 out of 7 continents!). You are going to have a blast at this wedding and all the parties. Good luck with the sequel to The Lost Planet. You can do eeet! *waves pom poms* I also want to say I got about 10 pages into CLASH OF KINGS and had to give it up, not because it was bad but because I saw how many pages were left and ran away scared LOL. I think I need to pick it up again soon and not move until I finish it...days later. LOL. Have a great time on your vacation/at the wedding and binge reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I am so jealous of your wedding tour! Have fun and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read THE 5TH WAVE and really enjoyed it. I've been tempted to tackle George R. R. Martin's books, but they're so huge! It feels like a big commitment. That said, I'm sort of getting sick of my husband spoiling things because he's read all the books. :/

    Good luck finishing up your first draft! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip sounds amazing! Have a wonderful time. Good luck finishing the WIP. Champagne sounds like the perfect way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, travels! I can't wait to hear all about them! Israel is totally on my travel wish list. Also, big fan of that track by Skrillex. I have it on my iPod and I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun on your travels! I've been to Israel thrice and would love to go back, possibly even to live there. My great-grandparents were planning a trip to Israel in 1967, but were diverted to Turkey when the Six-Day War broke out. Someday, if Turkey ever owns up to what they did to the Armenians, I'd love to visit that country too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you have fun in Europe! So jealous! And the 5th Wave, wow, I really need to pick that up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have an awesome time travelling! I really hope you hit your deadline too :D

    Isn't The 5th Wave amazing? I read it a few weeks ago and loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jealous you got The 5th Wave at BEA. That line was too long when I got to it, and I ended up just going home that night instead of trying to wait for it. Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Israel is definitely on my list of places to visit--hope you have an awesome time there and everywhere else you go! Weddings are always so fun, I find :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo your vacation sounds wonderful! I wish I had 17 days off! Congrats on finishing up your draft. What a wonderful feeling, and the perfect way to kick off your vacation. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your vacation sounds epic and wonderful. My brother and sister-in-law live in Israel, and they love it. Not an easy place, but sure to be very inspiring. Good luck on your deadline drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, "... because writing a sequel on deadline is to writing the first book like motocross racing on a mudslide is to taking a two-week bike tour of Provence." As someone working on that first book, it's both funny and terrifying. :)

    Good luck finishing your draft before take-off!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow--I hope you get a chance to finish your draft! And I'm admittedly jealous of your trip; it sounds like it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THE FIFTH WAVE is sitting on my coffee table right now just waiting to be read. I've heard so many good things about it that I really need to get to it soon.

    Love your music choices! Lately I listen to Crytpex a lot while I'm writing, which is similar to Skrillex. Hope you enjoy your trip (it sounds incredible) and best of luck finishing up the first draft of your sequel!

    ReplyDelete