Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Quickie Update

I haven't been blogging much as there's a deadline looming in my near future, but this week I'm up in the Bay Area on a work trip for my day job. Sitting alone in my hotel room at night is making me stir crazy, so I thought I'd hop online for some quick updates.

First and most exciting--we've sold translation rights for THE LOST PLANET in Spain! This is my first foreign sale and I'm so thankful to New Leaf's incredibly awesome subsidiary rights director, Kathleen Ortiz. I'm super excited to share my book with Spanish readers!

Last weekend was the summer SCBWI conference in Los Angeles, which was a blast as always. This was my fourth year attending, and I couldn't help but marvel at the changes that have happened since that first conference:

Year 1: clueless writer with a completed mess of a manuscript and no friends
Year 2: aspiring writer with a manuscript in revisions who'd started to make a few new friends
Year 3: querying writer who had just received an offer of representation the day before the conference
Year 4: soon-to-be-published author with a two-book deal!

These days I don't attend the conference so much for the content being offered as for the chance to spend time with "old" writer friends and make new ones. I also hosted the always-delightful Ghenet Myrthil at my home and had a ton of fun getting to know her better. And as an added bonus, my agent was on the faculty this year and I got to spend a bunch of time with her, which was so awesome. I seriously still have to pinch myself some days because I can't believe I get to work with her. She's the best!

I'm spending the weekend in beautiful San Francisco with my husband, but starting next week I'm going to be on a mega-tight schedule and will probably not be blogging for a while. So enjoy the rest of your summers, and I'll see you on the other side!

8 comments:

  1. Rachel, I like your blog. I loved it on blogionaire.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel.....I loved reading about your timeline. It always seems like things take sooo long in this process of writing, so it's nice to see someone accomplishing things!

    Glad you had a bit of time to spend at the conference with some great people.

    Good luck with your deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I hope I didn't make my publishing path sound like it was a snap--it definitely felt like an eternity working on the same book for years, haha. Persistence is a writer's best friend!

      Delete
  3. It was BEYOND fun hanging out with you and getting to know you better in LA. You are the best hostess ever! I even loved your ninja cat! :)

    Good luck finishing up your draft! Sending lots of productive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That's awesome! Love seeing your timeline. :)

    ReplyDelete