Friday, December 20, 2013

2013 Rewind: My Top 10 YA/MG Reads

As the year winds down, the YA Buccaneers are taking a look at our favorite YA and MG reads of 2013, both new releases and old. You can see everyone's #1 pick listed here: http://www.yabuccaneers.com/blog/2013/12/19/2013-rewind-our-top-reads

I read 30 YA and MG books in 2013, along with a handful of adult books like Gone Girl, The Twelve, and several of the Song of Ice & Fire books. My top ten YA/MG list for 2013 is:



1. SIX INNINGS - As I said over on the YA Bucs, I was not expecting a MG baseball story to take top billing, but this lovely story about a Little League team and the championship game really stole my heart.
2. DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT - Laini Taylor. Do I need to say anything else? She weaves magic. 
3. MORE THAN THIS - I wrote a post on this book back on YA Buccaneers a while back--a very unique story that kept me guessing. 
4. WONDER - If you haven't read this one yet, do so. My nephew sent it to me and said it was one of his favorites. 
5. THE DREAM THIEVES - I have to admit, this book left me a little unfulfilled--I had that "I want the whole series NOW" feeling at the end. But the writing was absolutely lovely and I'm looking forward to the rest of the books. 
6. THESE BROKEN STARS - Thriller, romantic, space, done. For me, it was worth reading for the spaceship crash scene alone. I love huge action scenes!
7. TTHE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS - This one sat at the top of my TBR pile for a long time, and I finally got to it this fall--a wonderfully creepy and atmospheric MG read. 
8. THE PLANET THIEVES - I may have a weakness for space adventure, and this book is the real deal. Breathtaking action, inventive descriptions, and bold heroics--loved it!
9. WINGER - Andrew Smith is another favorite, and this book is a standout. Loved the voice so much.
10. UNDER THE NEVER SKY - I started out not sure what to think of this one--dystopian burnout, maybe? But the story grabbed me, and the characters were terrific, and by the end I was a fan. Looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy!





8 comments:

  1. Your list looks like my bookshelf at work....a nice mix of YA & MG. I'm going to read WONDER to several classes this year. Loved it!

    I haven't read THESE BROKEN STARS, but I think I'll start 2014 with that one. Love sci fi!

    Have a great holiday, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, you've given me a few new reads to add to my list - yay! And I looove that you have some MG picks too.

    I've heard WONDER is really good, I'll have to pick that one up. A recommendation from your nephew sounds pretty priceless! And I love this, "Thriller, romantic, space, done." Ha.

    Great list, Rachel! Enjoy the holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic list!! And it reminds me that I need to read more good MG. So thanks for the recommends.

    Hope your Holiday is Merry and Bright! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I LOVE UTNS! I have Cavendish on my kindle--I'll have to read it next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! A few I have read and loved, and a few that are new to me (including the Raven Boys books, which are going to have to move to the top of my queue…). I am loving reading everyone's picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a good list. Wonder, and Days of Blood and Starlight were two of my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! There are a few on here that I really want to read in 2014 - WONDER, THESE BROKEN STARS, WINGER and DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT are at the top of my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can truly relate and retain this outstanding post. Very well written. html5 video scene list

    ReplyDelete