Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A long overdue update

So it's been a super duper long time since I posted here, no? I've started and abandoned several posts over the past year, but I just don't have much time for blogging these days and I feel kind of weird posting random thoughts or personal stories that are mostly only interesting to me. But I've been meaning to write up a little State of the Rachel for readers who've been sending me questions, most specifically The Question, and give a general idea of what I'm doing these days.

Once upon a time I was a writer whose husband traveled a lot, who had a great day job and lots of free time to sit and ponder and scribble away. I considered myself possibly one of the most mellow people I knew. In the past two years, this all changed: my husband changed jobs and stopped traveling so much, we had a baby, I eventually left the wonderful corporation I'd worked at for over a decade. We jettisoned half our belongings and moved our entire household to Germany. I spent a lot of time sitting in an empty living room on an air mattress and looking after my wee crawler, and sent lonely emails to the writing group I'd left behind in LA. Mellow creativity gave way to lots of new daily tasks and worry and stress, and my writing ground down to a painfully slow crawl.

As we settled in our new life, eventually I started to regain some productivity on the writing front, and things have been going better in 2016. But for all those readers who've asked about book three in the Lost Planet series, I have to tell you that that's not what I'm working on. I have the third book plotted out and have written the first few chapters, but with publishing being a business and middle grade science fiction being a tough sell, at this point there's been no indication that my publisher plans to pick up a third book in the series. This is life; it stinks, but it happens to a lot of authors. I promise you that I very much intend to finish Chase and Parker's story at some point. I was playing the long game when I wrote THE LOST PLANET and planted a ton of clues in that book that won't be answered until later books. There's a reason for every detail, and a big old backstory about war and tragedy and consequences. It kills me--I can't leave that all unfinished. But again, with publishing being business and me needing to push forward in my career, right now I have to focus my efforts elsewhere.

So what am I working on? Well, I don't like to give away too much this early, but my interests remain the same: adventures, stories about friendships, cliffhangers, thoughts about communication and understanding and why the world works the way it works. I have lots of ideas, and I'm working on putting them to paper. That said, I'm entering a time of upheaval again. After a year in Germany, my family is relocating back to Los Angeles this summer (BIG HOORAY). Also happening this summer is baby #2--which is also cause for jubilation, but holy smokes is this going to be a crazy few months. So, stress level isn't going anywhere, but happiness level is going up, and with it hopefully more motivation and more writing and more good things. Who knows when I'll post here again, but I'm always available to answer questions on Facebook and Twitter, and when I have news to share, I'll send it out to my mailing list--sign up if you want to be kept in the loop!

30 comments:

  1. Oh, sweetie. <3 This post is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Hugs. You are amazing :) Wishing you all the best. <3 I'm so sad that your publisher don't want book three :( SOBS. I would love it lots. I hope they will end up picking up the rest of the series. <3 Hugs. ONE DAY. Either way, though, if you ever end up writing it, I would read it in a heartbeat :) And ohh, curious about your new series :D Sounds awesome! Cannot wait to read. <3

    I hope you are having an amazing week sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Carina! You're the sweetest.

      Delete
    2. See, im in middle school, and i love the first two books. I'll be awaiting the day the third one comes out, no matter what.

      Delete
  2. First, congrats on the new "crawlers" lol :), second, your publisher is clearly an IDIOT, I consider the lost planet series as among the richest books I've ever read. I not only love the story and characters, but you put so much detail into the environment, it truly feels alive. It may be technically "middle school", but it's also just plain good science fiction, which is timeless and ageless. I'll be anxiously waiting for book 3, and I'm 29 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm do you mind writing the 3rd book and send it to me and the other fans, i would pay like 60 $ for the 3rd book! They are so good and I love all the characters (Parker is my favorite) please please please try to find a way to publish the 3rd lost planet book, I really need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the baby! That'll be exciting. I'm glad you got through a hard writing time, and though I'm sad book three is not in sight, it's great that you're still writing something else, and I can't wait to learn more about it! I loved reading the Lost Planet series (though I got in the habit of calling it the Chase Garrety series…) and the characters and world really hooked me. Something about the way you wrote it just brought me to that world, and to a reader and a writer, that's the greatest inspiration I could ever need.
    Hope you have a great 2017, too! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s been two years and obviously you’ve been very busy, but I’ve just been wondering how the third book is coming along? I know there was issues with the publisher, as stated above, but will there be a published book anytime soon in the foreseeable future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delilah, apologies for the long delay! I'm sorry to say that there won't be a third book anytime soon. I've been busy with other projects in the past two years, and honestly most of my time has been consumed with taking care of my kids. I still do want to finish and publish that third book, I just can't promise when it's going to happen. Sorry and thanks for checking!

      Delete
  7. That’s a-okay! Being a mother always comes first in life no matter what. I can’t wait until time becomes available for you to finish this book. Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll wait as long as I have to to hear the ending. This series is very good and I can't believe it isn't a best seller. I hope it becomes more popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if you started a Patreon page or something if it's money you're worried about. I bet lots of people would donate (including me).

      Delete
    2. Ah thanks! Right now the hardest thing to come by is time, but I'm revving up to start writing full time again very soon once we get resettled in our new house. Believe me, I haven't forgotten about Chase and Parker!

      Delete
  9. I it sucks that you have to do something else then the third book in the series when I was eleven you had me hooked and now I'm a twelve year wanting to read the next book
    but I'm glad I'm a fan of amazing author so keep doing what you do best and I will support you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son just finished reading The Stolen Moon. He absolutely loved this series. He is sad there is not a third. You are such a talented writer! Hopefully someday we will be able to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot to me, and I'm so glad he enjoyed the books. I'm still trying to get back up to full speed!

      Delete
  11. I read the lost planet series. Actually I just finished it, and i was so sad when i read this. I cant wait for the third book! Just take all the time you need! Ill be waiting

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps. the series inspired me to write a fanfiction about Chase and Parker. Im the person from above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first person who's ever told me that! I'm so happy you enjoyed the characters as much as I do!

      Delete
    2. I love all the characters. I'm so excited for the next book. The book I'm writing isn't that far in, but I kinda made it to where Trucon still exists. They go to microna, and then Trucon blows up. Thats all i hav...for now

      Delete
  13. Strangely, I actually found the book when I was preparing for an airplane trip and trying to find an exhilerating paperback. I found it in a small box of books I had forgotten about! I assume that I bought it four years ago at a school book sale and forgot about it, but wow! Exhilerating it is! Amazing skills (especially things like superpowers) really hook me and once I had a balanced understanding of the fictional universe (at first it was fast paced and I confused myself overthinking everything) I could hardly put it down! I finished the sequel about an hour ago and had to find news on more books.

    Third book in the lost planet series or not I will definitely be keeping an eye out for future books! And take your time, "we can't wait!" but we can, and we will patiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm still writing, just at a slower pace currently. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and I'm glad you enjoyed the books!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the update. My son (11) has just discovered this series. We will be following you both for book 3 and whatever else you may write.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Mrs. Searles!
    So this is really random but I was awake at night and just thinking about random thoughts when I remembered your book series! I’ve been trying to remember the exact name of the title for a while, and it just sort of came to me. I started this series as an elementary schooler (I’m in high school now) and wanted to see what came of it. I want to thank you because the Lost Planet series were one of the books that really got me into reading. I’m definitely going to get my younger sister to read the books and we’ll eagerly await its return.
    Thank you,
    An avid fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm so touched that you still remember my series, and thrilled that it helped get you into reading! I'm still writing, but at a lot slower pace at the moment. I hope you're still finding time to read! I'm just starting Call Down The Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater right now--highly recommend. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I started in elementary too, still waiting in 10th grade lmao

      Delete
  16. Hello! I really enjoyed the books you have written in The Lost Planet series and was wondering if you are still writing a 3rd? If not are you writing anything else?
    Have a nice day/morning/evening!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete