Thursday, June 2, 2011

No Gloom For Me, Thank You

Here's something I didn't know about Los Angeles when I moved here: June sucks. You may think we're all sunshine and beaches and movie stars out here, but in June a marine layer rolls in off the ocean to hover over our fair city, and we are grey and overcast for pretty much the entire month. They call this June Gloom. Oh, the tourists just love that! Last summer the marine layer started early, with May Grey, and lasted much longer, right through Fogust, and we got cheated out of our southern Cali summer altogether. You should have heard the collective whining!

I'm still a fan of June though, that mild portender of barbecues to come. Back in the day, it was when school got out and the lazy mornings of sipping Kool-Aid and watching The Price Is Right began. It's usually a slow month, sandwiched as it is between Memorial Day and Fourth of July. Folks in the Midwest might be planting their gardens, or harvesting their first tender lettuce and tiny strawberries. Sigh. I need a plane ticket to Chippewa County.

Here in L.A., I won't be letting June Gloom get me down--I've got too much to do. As noted in my last post, I'm taking part in Shallee McArthur's JuNoWriMo challenge, with the intent to revise three chapters a week. This means I'm supposed to be done with chapter 11 by this weekend, and...I may not hit that goal. I'm still negotiating a series of agreements with chapter 9, and I'm leaving tomorrow for Vegas to celebrate my dear husband's (June!) birthday. This doesn't mean I can't try to catch up next week. Six chapters! Double time! I'm also, um, moving in two weeks, which might throw a tiny wrench in my intentions. Will this make me scrap my calendar? No way! Full charge!

How could I be gloomy when I've got so much fun ahead of me? What are your June plans?

5 comments:

  1. My June plans including writing, writing, and did I mention writing? I'm hoping to finish the rough draft of my book this month. Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've got a busy June ahead! Good luck with everything, and have fun in Vegas. Way to go for working on your JuNo goals with everything you've got going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with JuNo! I just returned from vacay, so my June plans are getting back to the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I live just north of Seattle (Bellingham), and I feel your pain. I love all your terms for the months. Around here, we just call clouds, rain and fog 'the weather.' But maybe if we dress up the names, it'll at least seem more interesting.

    Good luck with JuNoWriMo! I'm joining in, a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea about June gloom! I once visited LA in January and was shocked to find bright green grass everywhere.

    Good luck with your goals for this week and have lots of fun in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete