Tuesday, November 22, 2011

One Year!

I'm kind of astonished to realize that it's been one year since I started blogging here. I'm also one short of my hundredth post--who would have thought? Certainly not me. I opened my blog with a dopey post about a childhood toy that my mother was throwing away, and continued on that path of random until I hit my "must write about writing in every post" phase. That took way too much energy and didn't last long, which is how I ended up at my current policy of "whatever's on my mind, hopefully with a nod to books and writing as often as possible."

I started this blog as a way to reach out and meet other writers, and boy have I. This past year has been phenomenal for me in terms of making connections with other creative people and working on making my writing better. I was talking with a "real life" friend last night and telling her about all the writers I know who are querying and getting agents, and she commented, "Wow, it's like you have this whole other world." And it is, and I love it.

Having this blog was also a way for me to really commit to the idea of being a writer. I know that a blog does not a writer make, but it's public, and I have to be okay with the idea of someone I know possibly finding it and thinking, Huh, I guess Rachel likes to write adventure stories. Which is hideously embarrassing to think about, but there it is. Putting myself out there. Meep.

This is what blogging feels like to me
Thank you to everyone who's read my blog, followed my blog, cheered me on during the Great Thumbdrive Oopsy of 2011, and shared their experiences with me in the comments. You inspire me--I know it's corny, but you do--to push myself harder and put myself out there, and I love you, writing community!

10 comments:

  1. Aw, what a sweet post! I enjoy your reading your blog. It's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Congrats for one year of blogging! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, and we love you! Congrats on the year mark, that's exciting! And sometimes, I think we all just need to feel like Elaine dancing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad I have gotten to know you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writing community loves you back! :) Happy one-year blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary, Rachel! Who'd have thought this blogging thing could be so much fun? It amazed me how many writer blogs there are, and it also challenged me how good so many of those blogs are. One of the things I had to deal with when I first set up my blog was the fact that I was putting it "out there" that I write fiction. It's one thing if that's all you've ever done since grade school... but when it's been a "secret passion" for years, and you're now well beyond grade school and only just going public... it's a little scary. But really--who cares? It's not like I suddenly stumbled upon writing. I'm just owning up to what I am, and always have been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo, glad you've been here a year! I haven't quite hit that mark yet but I've enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man that is awesome! I started my blog for the same reasons and I can not believe all the people I know. And if it wasn't for this writing community, I wouldn't be the writer I am today. And my "real life" friend said the same thing. It is another world and I love living in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone,This was how me and my Boyfriend became VAMPIRES. I got a guy from the internet called Mr. Thomas who was a VAMPIRE so i told him that me and my boyfriend would love to become a VAMPIRES so he asked me of my Name ,Country, Age ,State , address and in the next 3 days i got the blood sample through the DHL which me and my boyfriend took in the blood into our body and in the next 30 minutes we turned into a VAMPIRE so if you are interested in becoming a VAMPIRE. First: Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books, Sure. I understand. You are young; you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete