Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blissfully Home

Lapcat sez NEVER LEAVE ME AGAIN
My traveling stint is finally over and I am back in my Venice home, so happy to be here that I could scream. The cat is screaming with joy too--he's barely left my lap since I got back. My skin is still buzzing with jetlag and I'm having some crazy, crazy dreams--I give it a good week before I'm not falling asleep at nine every night.

It took us a total of thirty hours to make it to Dubrovnik, and when our driver picked us up at the airport, all we could think about was sleep. But we were in town for a wedding the next day, and all our friends were waiting for us at a restaurant where they'd just had dinner. So we said Hey what's a few more hours and stayed out with them until 2 in the morning, and to be honest, seeing all their faces after so many years totally gave me my tenth wind.

The wedding was beautiful, and my husband and I got the added excitement having the suitcase with our dressy clothes get lost at Dulles. It arrived at our pension a scant hour before the wedding. We ate ourselves silly at the reception, went to a disco on the beach with the newlyweds, and stayed up until sunrise to celebrate. Actually we stayed up until about three or four every morning, just sitting around and sharing stories over cold bottles of Ožujsko. Talk about needing a vacation from your vacation.

On the way home, my husband and I stopped in Munich for a few days to hang out in our favorite city and spend a little more time with some friends. We were unbelievably lucky with the weather and got to spend time in the sun at the Seehaus, a beer garden on the lake in the English Garden. We also made it to the Oktoberfest, though fortunately for only a few hours, because a few hours of Oktoberfest is entirely enough. If you don't like crowds, then Oktoberfest is not for you.

Now I'm home at last, and so very excited for what I hope will be a long and productive fall. I want to cook more healthy meals, do more yoga, finish this freaking book. I took lots of notes on the plane and I think all I need is one good push. And finally, finally, I will able to make the time for it. How's your writing going? About to finish a project? Starting something new? What are your goals for the fall?

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Home! I'm trying to decide what project to start this fall. I keep jumping between about three, trying to fall massively in love with one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that picture looks painfully crowded. Reminds me of my trip to Disney Land last Christmas. Not a good time to visit the Happiest Place on Earth. :) Makes you not so happy.

    I am finishing up my WIP and working on my query and synopsis for it. I already have my list of agents to query, so my hopes for this fall is to get them sent and hear back something wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! It seems like you had a great trip. I'm glad you had a chance to catch up with old friends! And I know that all to familiar clingy cat syndrome when returning from a trip.

    Not much new going on here, just working on finishing up my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Hopefully you can still type with a cat on your lap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping back by to let you know I passed a couple of awards on to you today!

    ReplyDelete