Thursday, September 22, 2011

Some thanks, and a plan

On this cloudy Thursday, I'd like to thank Caitlin from All About Growing Up and Becoming a Famous Author for selecting me to receive the Versatile Blogger and Irresistibly Sweet Blogger awards. Thanks, Caitlin! You should go check out her blog--she does these awesome Cookbook Thursdays, and today's recipe is for sweet potato soup...mmm. And this reminds me that I forgot to thank Lori from On Writing and (sometimes) Publishing for giving me the Liebster Award last month. Thanks Lori, sorry I'm such a spacer! Lori posts delicious recipes on her blog too, including this one for fresh orange cake from the same post where she gave me the award. Haven't tried it yet but it looks tasty. Hmm, writing and recipe blogs combined...I think you girls are onto something!

All around me, these days, it seems like many of the talented writers I know are finishing up their books and making concrete plans to get them into the hands of prospective agents. I'm so excited for them, even strangely proud of them now that I know how much hard work and courage this all takes. I'm cheering them on from the sidelines, but looking forward to joining their ranks (hopefully) soon. I've been able to get back into the groove of things pretty well this week and have put two newly revised chapters into the hands of my critique partner. In addition, a meeting with my other critique group on Tuesday where I got some confidence-bolstering praise (and more revisions, always more revisions) was like a shot of creative adrenaline, and we're back on schedule to start meeting every other week again rather than once a month like we did in the summer.

From the looks of things, I'd say I've got about seven more chapters to rewrite until I'm finished, and then another round of polishing/pulling threads. Could the end be in sight? I'd like to set a schedule, but lately those haven't been working as well for me, so I've set a goal for when I want to be finished, by the end of October. So people, if you see me writing posts next month about carving pumpkins and baking ghost cookies, feel free to harass me about my impending deadline.

5 comments:

  1. You can do it! The time will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan! And I'm good at nagging, so you know I'll be checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schedules haven't been working for me, either. With this current round of revision, I decided to try to finish by my birthday, not as a deadline, but as a gift to myself. It's funny how making it a positive thing rather than a negative helped me get it done!

    GOOD LUCK! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on finishing my WIP by the end of October as well, so the harassing can go both ways.

    That's awesome that you got some great feedback from your group, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pro-deadline, even when you don't "really" have one. I think it is a good work habit and it helps wrap your head around completion. Fingers crossed for you! Does that mean you may do NaNo in November?

    ReplyDelete