Thursday, March 24, 2011

Putting Out Fires

I missed posting yesterday, because I'm trying to be a superhero and fit in everything I want to do this week. Work, check, gym, check, dinner on the table every night, check, catching up with friends, check, critiquing and critique meetings, check. Writing, unfortunately, has fallen by the wayside. It seems I have too many plot elements in my life right now.

I always feel like I've just got a couple of fires to put out, and when that's done, I'll be able to devote more time to writing. But there are always more fires. I may have to give up on my dream of both making it to the gym and writing for now, because there is only so much free time in one's day.

As for my WIP, I'm not really working on it much right now--I'm circling it from a distance, poking at it with a stick. I'm refining an outline to makes the rewrites easier. I'd like to jump back into it and attack the revisions, but I've got Jessie Spano in my head screaming "No time! There's never any time! I don't have time to study! I'll never get into Stanford!" Or something like that.

What do you do when it feels like there's never any time?

6 comments:

  1. Go to Ali Cross's blog. She is doing a dojo for writer ninjas who are revising/querying/writing and it is a great community to get you motivated. Just a suggestion. When I feel like I have no time, I sleep less:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm running short on time, I waste more time by making a to do list... then I check my Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I'm not the only one with the lack of time. I can't remember the last time I went to the gym because something has to give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger just ate my comment, and now I'll have to attempt recreating it. Grr. Now it will sound lame.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been having time problems lately. I can't even remember the last time I gymed because something had to give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often poke my currents mss with a stick! Of course, the like to try and bite my feet off and swallow them whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I poke mine too! As long as I'm poking them, I know I'll get back to them when I'm ready. I try to respect the time off and use it to read, read, read.

    ReplyDelete