Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Randomness

I haven't got enough power of concentration today to write a proper post, or even count to five, so here is what I'm thinking about right now:

  • I am loving The Monstrumologist. It takes a bit of energy to read because I'm not used to the old-fashioned style and crazy-long sentences, but the writing is delightful. How can you not love descriptions like this: 
    • "The eyes were lost in folds of grayish flesh; the nose was scarlet and bulbous, rising from the sunken cheeks like a red potato resting upon a parched landscape; and the mouth was a dark, toothless tunnel in which his swollen tongue slithered restlessly over bare gums."
  • I met my critique partner this week--it had been a while--and she gave me some great, constructive feedback on two new chapters. I love how she can fill one page with question marks and basically say, what the hell is this? you need to cut this scene immediately. I'm starting to get my mojo back after last month's setback, and it's exciting.
  • My husband and I have made a pact with another couple that we are friends with to engage in a Finer Things Club, a la The Office (an excuse to get us out of our respective neighborhood bubbles). Last night was our first event: dinner at Bouchon in Beverly Hills. We ordered the tête de cochon, which was, disappointingly, not a real pig's head.
  • Speaking of pigs, we did once order the fried pig's ears at Church & State downtown. Not delicious. Not even close.
  • For those of you screaming, well what did you expect from fried pig's ears? I have no response. For those of you disgusted by the thought of me munching on a fried pig's ear, I apologize. Although I do admire vegetarians, I will never number among them.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to order the pig's ear to see if you might like it--you never know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Office! A Finer Things Club sounds awesome! Or...er...pleasantly and intellectually stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! Our friends decided to do the same thing. That's why we're going to some winery thing in Temecula this weekend. Though I don't think a pig's head will be on the menu. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that veggie pig! Did the pig's ears look like dog treats? That is what I am picturing but I'm sure they were much fancier than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I've got The Monstrumologist sitting on my bedside table. Looking forward to getting to it.

    ReplyDelete